Together with our partner, we are looking for a SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER for a fast-growing consulting and product development company founded by executives and technologists who have led digital transformations at The Washington Post, Marriott International, PBS, Forbes, Vox, the Daily Telegraph of London, WGBH, and ABC/Disney and National Geographic.
Their current clients range from start-ups to some of the most iconic brands in media. Their work has helped these clients win multiple awards, including Webby Awards and an award from Amazon for “Best Alexa Skill of 2018.”
We are now looking for a talented Data/Backend Engineer to join their team in Cluj-Napoca and build the next generation of digital products for scientists, educators, and storytellers around the world.
Their office is based in Cluj-Napoca and fully remote working is possible.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Their work with National Geographic is varied and spans across multiple product teams which are aligned with business units. Each team owns a portfolio of products that serves a particular domain or audience. The technology stack is Typescript/ React for applications and Python/ Node.js for core APIs, with elements of Gatsby, Next.js, Cloudinary and Sanity.io, as well as Django in some of their older products. Operationally they make extensive use of containers, AWS, Gitlab and Datadog.
You will be part of one of the Data Products teams. Their team members are collaborators that work closely with the Business and Technology of National Geographic Society to model the domains of the business, evangelize data literacy and good data governance practices. The Data Products teams are a key partner in building Technology’s data architecture strategy and creating accountability for governance throughout their operations and applications portfolio.
The Data Products teams will lead the effort to build a data platform and the blueprints that streamline data’s journey into and out of their systems and applications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work together with your team to discover, plan and execute various initiatives that are meant to empower explorers and educators across the world;
- Take ownership of certain projects or components and coordinate their design and development;
- Write good, testable software and good documentation;
- Work closely with your team’s product manager to contribute to the way we think about products, our quality and development practices and our architectural solutions;
- Promote their values and help build their presence as a growing company in Cluj.
- The ideal candidate would be a skilled software product and engineering professional who likes being empowered to make an impact, takes pride building and leading highly performant teams and seeing their team’s ideas come to life. You would have the experience to build trust, be a good communicator and have a real interest in helping others succeed;
Solid experience as a Software Engineer (any programming language for Backend as long as you are willing to switch to Node.js);
- Expertise in setting up pipelines to ingest streaming, batch data from diverse sources, and perform data virtualization and/or ETL processes to make the data more usable, both with on-promise technologies and cloud-based solution providers;
- Exposure to at least one cloud platform: AWS, Google, Azure;
- Strong experience working with SQL and databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server;
- Good understanding of scalable data query engines: e.g. BigQuery, Presto, Snowflake, Spark etc.;
- Experience with ETL tooling such as Airflow, Prefect, etc.;
- Experience using stream processing platforms such as e.g. Kafka, Pulsar, Storm, Kinesis, etc.;
- Familiarity with Python data-science stack: e.g. Jupyter, Pandas, scikit-learn, Dask, TensorFlow;
- Experience with managing increasing data volume, velocity and variety;
- Comfortable and productive working in agile teams;
- Strong communication skills - you will need to be able to reach people with various technical backgrounds;
- Very good personal discipline and time management skills;
- Strong work ethic.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Remote work;
- Medical insurance;
- Home office incentive;
- Flexible extra benefits package;
- Unlimited access to the Pluralsight platform and dedicated 2h/week learning time of a subject of your choosing;
- Yearly performance bonus;
- Recommendation bonuses;
- Time off: You will start with 24 PTO days/year, but every new year with them will bring you one extra day until you reach the 29 PTO day limit;
- Birthday off.